free hit counter

Friday, July 3, 2009

Two weeks ago when I sat in this chair and looked around my house, I saw the unfinished projects, the leaves that needed raking, and the trim that I never quite finished painting. Today I look around my house and I see an entirely different picture. I see the wood floors that he laid one board at a time with old fashioned square nails, I see the fruit trees he planted this past winter, I see the garden he built for his daughters full and lush with promise. I see the redwood trees in the front yard, he planted a few years ago, now tripled in size. I can see down the hill out back where he cleared the brush. I see all the bicycles, and teeter totter he put together for our girls to play on. The wood stove in the living room he brought home and installed all himself. The dining room he made by tearing down the walls of an old bedroom. I see the patio in the back yard that we poured together last summer. The ladder leaning up against the cherry tree in the back yard, the bucket on the ground, abandoned from our cherry picking after noon just two weeks ago. The rock wall he was building, a glove perched on the handle of the shovel, like it is waving at me. I see the shelves in the hall that hold pictures of the precious moments of our lives. Those are all good things today. Signs of his love for us. The house he made into a home for his family, to surround us, protect us and keep us. His Family. I am getting ready to go to the hospital, maybe we will finish our book today. The girls are excited to spend the day with MA and K, swimming in the summer sun. We had a good morning, a quiet morning. The girls slept until almost 9am, unheard of for my little 7am wonder. I will spend the day in the best company I can keep, with my husband, my best friend.

1 comment:

  1. That was beautifully written. There is a growing circle of love surrounding Eric and his family. I hope it brings you comfort.

    We'd be glad to have the girls over for a play date with Devin. Please call anytime.

    May God bless you and may God bless our friend Eric Christopher.

    James

    ReplyDelete

 
satellite