free hit counter

Wednesday, July 15, 2009



I came home from town one evening this past fall. I had groceries, and my mind was distracted. I loaded up my arms with bags and toted them into the house, preparing myself to be bombarded the second I hit the door. I came into the kitchen and unloaded my arms, and realized I had just walked the full length of the hallway without one child jumping out at me. I called out and no one came. I walked back down the hallway checking in the rooms to see if they were involved in some game, but all was quiet. I walked out onto the front deck and looked around. I could see the light on in the garage and walked confidently over calling out to them as I approached. They were not there. I thought I heard a little rumble of voices and started walking towards the barn, I did not see any movement or shadow, but again thought I heard the murmur of voices. It was dusk and I could not see where they might be. Again I thought I heard a giggle and a small rumble of voices. I took a small step forward and cocked my head trying place where it was coming from. All of a sudden..... one ....two ......three heads popped out of this giant pile of leaves and yelled "Surprise!" They had leaves clinging to their hair, their smiles huge and infectious. They had seen me pull up and he helped them hide in the leaves, telling them little tales to keep them entertained while they waited for just the right moment. He loves to make an entrance, to pick just the right moment. He has the patience to wait for it. Me? I am working on it. It is always worth the wait.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite