free hit counter

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Just a few things for today...

We had a quiet morning at home today, then took H for her swimming lesson. After lessons I took them to Kids Park for some play time while I visited him at the hospital. This morning they took his NG tube out of his nose (feeding tube) and put one in his stomach instead. This will make it so much more comfortable for him, and he already looks more relaxed. In order to do this they had to sedate him again, so he slept all afternoon. I let him sleep quietly, as it was good to watch him looking so relaxed. Later this afternoon he became alert and opened his eyes to look at me. It is always so good to see those familiar eyes. I showed him the girls picture again and he stares at it for long periods of time. They told us today that his breathing is doing so well that they will be able to take the traich. out soon, that was good news for the day. I visited with him and whispered in his ear, all the things his babies were doing today. The silly little things that he gets so much pleasure from, H's insistence on wearing all purple, E's pouty face when her sister tries to railroad her into something, their giggles and spats, just the little things. I can see in his face that he likes it when I talk of them, of our life at home, and I remind him of all the things he is missing while he rests.
People are always wanting to help, and I do appreciate it. Really there is nothing that we need right now. "The Girls" from dispatch brought me a CD yesterday of his radio time, things and voices he would be familiar with. I bought him a portable player yesterday and have been playing it for him. If you have been reading my updates then you also know that we play videos of the girls and our life for him. Truthfully his life is very big and he loves so many things. If you can think of music, sounds, voices, people talking to him, sounds of things he enjoys doing, funny clips etc. that would be familiar to him or something that he would enjoy, I would be happy to receive any burned CD's to play for him.
Some of you are wanting to drop me a note or a thought, and I am happy to read them. I have listed the e-mail address to the right on this blog.... buttecounty80@gmail.com I cannot always respond to all of them, but I appreciate them. I also will be taking my computer with me to see him, and I will read him your messages.
One last thing for today. Anyone that knows him has an "Eric Story", we would love to hear them right now, would love to read them to him, and share them with everyone so that we may all keep our thoughts positive right now. If you have something you would like to share, please e-mail it to me and with your permission I will copy it over here so we can continue to laugh with him as we continue on this journey. One of the favorites that I hear about often is the infamous garbage can story. Yes it is true. We were on our way down the hill to D&T's for dinner. We got into his big ol' truck and started down the hill. As we were driving down, I noticed that quite a few people were waving to him. He is a very friendly guy, and at first I did not think too much about it. After about the 3rd time, I asked him how he knew all these people. He shrugged and smiled. We got all the way from our house to the light at East Ave and Cohasset. We were in the left turn lane and as we were making the turn, I saw another person out of the corner of my eye waving to us. I was starting to think that something was odd, when he pulled into the driveway of the autoparts store. As we entered the driveway, we heard a big crash and then the sound of something dragging. He looked at me with a worried expression and said "I think something just fell off the undercarriage of the truck" he put it in park and got out to go to the back of the truck. I turned in the seat and was looking through the rear window watching his face. He first looked concerned and apprehensive when he was walking to to the rear of the truck. Then I saw relief and humor wash over his face right before he bent down. He stood back up and hoisted our garbage can into the bed of the truck. The can had ridden all the way down the hill on it's wheels, wearing off all of the rubber down to the hard plastic centers and still it had stayed upright until we turned into that driveway. Over 15 miles towing a garbage can. Yup it is all true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite