free hit counter

Monday, July 20, 2009

And the week begins again..

Here we are at the beginning of another week. It has now been one month. A full month already, and it has been excruciatingly long, and yet whirlwind fast. I spent the afternoon with him yesterday. Sunday is the only day of the week that he will not have PT. I took his clippers so I could cut his hair for him and shaved him as well. He always feels better after a haircut. We did some range of motion exercises, textures and smells. He was alert for a good portion of the afternoon, and we read about a quarter of our new book. We are now reading "To Kill the Messenger" by Tami Hoag. He watches my face when I read to him. He was propped with pillows facing towards me, and when BB came to visit, he would turn his head as if to see him on the other side of the bed. I asked BB to switch sides with me and see if he would watch him. We switched sides and he kept his eyes on BB the whole time. He seemed to be trying to talk to him, making sounds in his throat and using his mouth and tongue to make noises. We are encouraged by this. I hung up some more pictures for him in his room and drawings from the girls. I was recently recommended a book about a 37 year old brain doctor who had suffered a similar event and her road to recovery. I found it on Amazon and ordered it and 3 other books I found. I think that it would be nice to have more insight as to what is going on in his mind right now. It might be helpful for him if I read it to him as well. He will start his week getting back in his PT routine. They will continue to help him sit up at his bedside and hope to bring in a wheelchair this week so he can start having some longer periods of "up" time. It is good for his mind as well as his body to be up and change positions, have new stimulus. The beginning of the week brings us back to swimming lessons. We are getting ready right now. They have blossomed in the water, he will be so proud...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite