free hit counter

Friday, July 10, 2009

Standby...

It seems that we were a little premature in our moving announcement. He could move later today but more likely Sunday or Monday. They need to have all of the doctors on board to move him, and the pulmonologist wanted to keep him a little longer since they just removed the traich.

I got sick yesterday. I am sure it was inevitable since I have been spending so much time at the hospital, but still it was frustrating. Chills, fever, throat, and coughing. I stayed home with the girls and let them hover around me, we watched cartoon movies and they brought me crackers and water. I feel much better today. Broke the fever last night, and have no voice, but I think the antibiotics kicked in.


I have decided to post some of your thoughts and memories here to keep everyone thinking about him. Of course I will leave out identifying markers to protect the innocent, and the guilty.

I really miss hearing the familiar “County eighty” on the radio and so wish Eric will just wake up and be the Eric we know and love. I was laughing my ass off over the garbage can story, it’s been a while since I heard that and I had forgotten. My favorite stories of Eric are when I would find him sleeping at the Chico sub station in the conference room because he worked a night shift and had court the next morning. He is the most dedicated Law Enforcement officer I’ve ever known.



On your blog you said something to the effect of that when Eric laughed, he lauged with his whole body. Recently, I sat on a jury for a case in which Eric had to testify. At one point, he was asked a question and did not speak directly into the mic. The judge told him that when he addressed the court, he needed to speak clearly into the mic. Eric listened to the judge and laughed. That laugh brought back many memories for me.

He is one of the most hardworking people I have ever met, and his extensive knowledge of random facts intrigued me as well as taught me something new everyday. He even taught me to shoot my first gun!



One funny story - I contacted him about a case last summer to get an update on the investigation and he apologized for "slacking off" on his cases while he worked overtime on the wildfires - we like to tease the officers and deputies, but obviously I couldn't give him a hard time after that!!! :)




Eric has left a stamp on my heart forever. I will always remember his boisterous smile and happy heart. His love for you and his love for his girls will get him through this.

Eric is truley a remarkable person and he means so much to me.

I got to see first hand how much he loves his job and how he was always very concerned about other people. He always made every person he spoke with, interviewed, interrogated feel like they were worthy of time of the Special Victim’s Unit and would get the best investigation into there case.

As Eric’s family I know you are very proud of him but know that he is loved by many and has touched a lot of lives not just at the Sheriff’s office but in the community and other agency. I am proud to call Eric my friend and I wish the best for Eric in health and recovery. He is in my thoughts and prayers daily. God bless Eric’s whole family for he loves you all deeply.

I wanted you to know there are a handful of officers that stand out over the thirty years that I have been doing this job...Eric is one of them. His humbleness, his intelligence and his genuine goodness make him a delight. We know that when Eric is on the case or on the witness stand he will have done his homework. He will know the case backwards and forwards and will be able to withstand the slings and arrows of cross-examination. And, the jury will absolutely love him with that smile and green eyes! They will trust him to tell the absolute truth, because that is the inherent nature of his being.

When your mind is full of indecision, try thinking with your heart.

There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up, and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.- -- Washington Irving

I remember when I first met Eric, I have to admit, was a little intimidated by his presence. The handle-bar-moustache, the gun, the “Chevy” (all of which, by the way, are now officially known as “Eric Christopher Cars” – he really, really likes those cars)… However, I soon realized that his personality was nothing less than humble, helpful, and sincere. Eric is always willing to take the time to help anyone who needes it. When I was interning for Eric, he never grew irritated with my never-ending strings of questions. He was always patient, and always willing to teach… Thinking back, the only bit of wisdom Eric imparted on me, that I would not live by, was his recipe for Margaritas in his younger days… (Mountain Dew and Tequila!). And even now, when I call about a sensitive and / or complicated case, I am always relieved to hear Eric pick up the phone. As I am sure everyone who has met Eric knows, he does not just “talk the talk”, he is the epitome of “walking the walk.”

It is a wonderful thing to be married to someone so well thought of. It brings me great comfort every day. It helps keep him close to us right now. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite