free hit counter

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Out of the mouths of babes...

I knew it was coming but just did not know when. Today was the day I told H. I met with the pediatrition and we spoke of the questions she would probably have, the way I should answer them and how much information to give. He was right on the money, and it went as well as could be expected. When I picked her up from summer program today, she mentioned something about her daddy. I decided not to put it off any longer. We pulled over to the local ice cream shop and sat on a bench in the warm summer sun, I sat absorbing her chatter and innocense for a few minutes before I started. " I have something important to tell you.." those familar green eyes stare up intently at me. "daddy has had an accident, and got an owie in his heart. After that he fell into a deep sleep" (thank you sleeping beauty). She asked the questions that were predicted, and I answered them as honestly as I could, and told her I did not know when I didn't. She also asked a few I had not anticipated. "did he eat a poison apple, or prick his finger on a spinning wheel?" um no. We talked about how lucky we are to have so many people in our family to help us care for each other, not just mommy, and daddy but nanas and papas, aunties and uncles, and that with so many people we will always have someone to care for us. She was good with that. I am sure we have many more questions ahead, and we will deal with them as they come naturally. Still he sleeps, still breathing on his own. And tonight I will sleep, knowing that as a family we are all on the same page. We need to find a princess. So she can kiss daddy awake.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lesley,
    I wake up thinking of you & start my special prayers for Eric, the children & you immediately. I look forward to your communication with us.I hope that you feel the power of our love & prayers each moment of this day & all days to come. I'm off to scripture & communion service this morning (Wednesday)with Eric & you all as my focus.
    Love, Terri

    ReplyDelete

 
satellite