free hit counter

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Unwritten...

Someone recently gave me a CD of music. This one was for me, not for him. I put it in the truck, thinking that I would listen to it soon, but often when I am driving my thoughts wander and I do not even remember to turn on music. This week I remembered. When I was alone in the truck driving around, I put on the CD. Many of the songs were songs I was familiar with, some even songs that I quoted from on the blog. There were also a few that I had never heard of. It is amazing how music can have such a profound affect on you. I cried as I listened to it. I pulled over and listened to the songs, one right after another, all of them tugging at some primitive part of my being. I cried for what I am missing, I cried for what he is missing and mostly I cried for what they are missing. A split second and lives irrevocably changed. I let myself feel the anger at it, the frustration and the agony. Then another song came on, one that I had not heard, and probably would not have heard was it not on this CD. It was in the middle of the song when I heard the words:

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

How true. His story has not been written, our story has not been written. We have to turn another page each day to see what it will bring. We might have clues along the way, but we will not know for sure until the last page has been turned. I am holding out for a happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. oh no! i didnt mean for it to make you cry! :(

    ReplyDelete

 
satellite