free hit counter

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Butterfly of the Week!

It seems like an innocuous statement, but that is some powerful mojo in our house. Butterfly of the week is a cross between being a rock star, having your birthday for a whole week and being a princess. You get to bring special snack, share everyday, have your parents come in and talk about work or hobbies, be the teachers helper, and many other equally high ranking duties. The exciting buzz through the household is palpable. Even the title holds mystical powers. When it was time to leave R&D's from the weekend, I was met with the usual moans and groans about not wanting to leave their cousin. However, this time I merely had to dangle the magic words "Butterfly of the Week" and the children were magically seated in their seats. When we got home jammies were willingly and happily donned. Teeth were brushed, and smiling children toddled off to bed. That is some good magic, powerful magic. It was so lovely and stress free coming home tonight, that if the rest of the week goes as well as tonight, I might just start issuing my own titles to see if I can hold onto it a little longer. I will even hand out tiaras, I mean I am not above a little bribery. Okay I might even relish it a little. We have always been a little bit fond of pitting the children against one another for our own personal entertainment. Oh nothing physical or permanently damaging, just a little competitive incentive. That never hurt anyone, right? Our motto has always been, we brought them into this world, we feed them,clothe them, and house them, the least they can do is provide us with a little entertainment. We have spent many an evening laughing over the heads of the children as we watch their vexed little faces as they compete to out do one another. It is just one more thing that I miss. In the midst of the chaos, I miss being able to share that little humor with their father, my partner. I miss being able to shoot a knowing look over their little heads, and know that we are both on the same page or remembering the same memory. I miss giving them the stern face lecture, and then looking at him with a secret smile because we both actually thought what they did was funny. I just miss him. I am watching our little butterfly spread her wings, and I think that he deserves to be here to watch it for himself.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite