free hit counter

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Welcome Rest..

This weekend I was welcomed. I was taken in, cared for, listened to, encouraged,and given a soft quiet place to lay my head. It was wonderful. S came up to stay with the girls at our house for the weekend. This was the girls first weekend at home since this began. It was good for them to have time in their own space. It was good for them to have time to play and enjoy their home. It was good for me to be able to leave and know they were happy and well cared for. It was good for all of us to have some time apart. I headed north for my usual visits with him, but this weekend I stayed with R & D. They have offered their home since the beginning, and I took them up on it. I needed it. It was quiet, and I slept in.They are amazing people, thoughtful and caring, both of them. R is his K. He has known him almost twice as long as I. And D, a person who cares for others, whole heartedly, thinks of all the little details, the things that apart seem small, but when put together make huge beautiful mosaic. When I came back to the house at night, we talked about the day, his day, the future, what is coming up, my worries, my fears, how long he has come, and how much longer there still is to go. It was good to go to bed with a mind emptied, a heart unburdened, and just sleep. This weekend I was welcomed, and it was wonderful. Thank you.

He continues to look fantastic. Like he could jump out of bed at any moment. Everyone comments on it. His color, his skin, even his muscle tone. He finally seems to be getting along with his milkshake and looks more relaxed. He has also had more reports of words. I try to keep my heart from jumping into my throat every time I hear about it. Two weeks ago D &T went to see him and told me that he had very clearly responded to them. They know how objective I try to remain, and assured me it was clear to them. I remain ever hopeful, but try to keep perspective. This last week I got several more reports. D & P both spoke to me and told me they were certain of his communication. When I got to the hospital on Friday, 3 nurses stopped to tell me that they had personally heard it, and that it was very clear to them. It is hard to look at him, and hear these reports, and not have your heart do a little flip flop. Has he sat up and spoken to me? No, he has not. He had times over the last two days that his eyes were particularly clear and focused. When I chatter to him he makes sounds in response. Soft murmuring sounds. Mm mm. MmmmHmm. Like quiet conversation. I took him outside and we spent almost 3 hours today in the park. It was beautiful and cool and we sat outside and finished our latest book. He was is his chair with his head tilted up to the warmth of the sun, I sat on the bench beside him with my head on his shoulder, and I could feel the rise and fall of his chest as I read. I could feel his cheek tilt down and his breath ruffle my hair as I read. It could have been any other day in our life, quietly reading, enjoying a cool fall day. It was a good day. It was a good weekend, a restful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite