free hit counter

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Eagle has Landed!!!

Well we made it. We finally made it. I arrived here about an hour before he got here. When my feet touched the ground, I actually got a little weak in the knees. It was the adrenaline crash I think. It felt like such a big hurdle to have crossed. It was surreal that it had finally arrived. I met with the admissions coordinator and she congratulated me on a fight well fought. She told me that she had never seen it end this way before. She also suggested to me a new career in patient advocacy. She told me that she had seen many people become exhausted by the system and give in. She also reassured me that this was a place where they believed in aggressive treatment. They would try many things, and if something is not working they will scrap it and try something new. It felt really good to hear that. I also told her that I fought to get him here because he deserved the chance. The opportunity. That however this road ends, I have to be be right with him, and with his girls. I have to be able to look at them and know I did everything reasonably possible to bring their father back to them. That I provided to him every opportunity to succeed. I think these next weeks will be critical. They will finally be the ones that will give us answers. They whole staff seems to be very vested in their facility. They have also been encouraging and reassuring about the the program. DrD the director of the brain injury program will not be in until Wednesday and so these next days are just to let him adjust to his new environment. They will then be putting him through his paces, directing him through 3-4 therapies per day with drug stimulation therapy in addition to that. After we got him settled in his room, his things unpacked and all of the intake done, we had some special visitors. San Quentin has 8 dedicated beds in one of the wings of the facility. They keep it regularly staffed with correction officers on rotating shifts. A correction officer and their supervisor heard about him and wanted to come and pay their respects. They reassured us that they would make a point of checking in on him during every shift. It was a very emotional day, a day of changes. But it was finally change. Movement. A step forward. Towards what, we do not know, but it is a step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite