free hit counter

Friday, November 6, 2009

Waiting for Winter...

It has been a helluva week. I am exhausted. We started the week with our usual busy Monday, and we added dentist appointments for all three of us. The girls did great, E even volunteered to go first! From there we went to lunch, then school, the post office, swimming lessons, the grocery store and finally home. Tuesday started out with it's usual fanfare, getting both lunches packed, both girls ready for school, packing our sharing item, getting both girls down the hill and into school, then coming home for the glorious few hours I get to myself during the week. A picks up the girls for me so that I have time to come home and get a few things done without helping hands. However when I got all the way home on Tuesday (35 minutes from the school)there was a message waiting for me that H was in the office not feeling well. I turned right around and headed back down the hill to pick her up. I had to take E out a little early so we could get home and let H go down for a rest. A little fever, she said her tummy hurt, she slept for the day and was back on the mend the next day. I thought we would spend a quiet day or so at home, put the movies on for the girls, let them rest and have Popsicles. Well that worked for H, but little E must have been channeling her wild inner monkey, because that kid was all over the place. She is usually my girl who will play quietly at my feet as I am filling orders, or sneak off in her bedroom only to be found quietly playing pretend. Not this week. That girl was just full of herself. She was bouncing off the furniture, literally. She was laughing, jumping, and running around. She was having long real and pretend conversations on the phone. She was having wild and intricate pretend scenarios involving a wolf costume (something she just made up and kept pretending) and all kinds of adventures she was having. Of course all of my allergies have drained leaving me with a froggy throat and a cough, this on top of watching H, and trying to just stay out of E's way, has left me spent. I got nothing done this week. Something good happened today though. Actually something great. R &R came down to the house today and spent all day going through our electrical panel and installing our brand new heaters! In all these years we have heated pretty much strictly with wood. We have two very good stoves, one at each end of the house. They do a good job if you are home to tend them. With our crazy and inconsistent schedule it is hard to keep the home fires burning all day. We have often used portable heaters to supplement or just take the chill off. I have never been really comfortable with them, always worrying that one of the girls might trip over one on a midnight potty break. I looked at some different options and got some opinions. Our house has never been ducted for heating or air, and I decided it was too much of an investment to take on right now, but I wanted to have something to make it a little easier on us. I got Cadet room heaters. Each one goes into the wall and has it's own individual thermostat. They put them in all the bedrooms, the main bathroom and the living area. They work beautifully! It was alot of work, they worked all day, but I am so pleased with the results! And to top it off, R took the girls home with him, so that I can sleep in tomorrow morning before heading up! Another thing that helps make our life more manageable. Makes it not seem quite so overwhelming. S also brought us a load of wood last weekend to add to what we already have, and I am feeling warm and snug going into winter. And I get to sleep in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite