free hit counter

Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Toothless Wonder....


So she has been jealous of M for weeks. He has lost 3 teeth and had three visits from the tooth fairy. She has been running around telling everyone that her tooth is loose. I stand behind her and silently shake my head, as the questioning eyes look up at me. This had been going on for several weeks, and I had gotten to the point where I was placating her without really checking anymore. Then last Monday, I thought I should probably check them again. When I looked in her mouth again, the teeth were still not loose, but there was something else I noticed....two permanent teeth right behind the bottom front ones! Coincidentally I had a dentist appointment the following day. The girls came with me and I had the dentist take a look at her. He confirmed what I already expected...... they had to come out. They had an opening the following day so we made the plan. We broke the news to her and she was.......excited! Thrilled even. I gave full disclosure, told her about the shot, but dreams of the tooth fairy far outweighed any ogres I could throw at her. So we walked out of there, my oldest child, walking on air because she was getting her teeth pulled, and my youngest child crying because she was not getting her teeth pulled and she wanted to. (obviously the eldest child is not the only one experiencing some jealousy) I am only glad they could get her in the next day as I don't know how much longer I could take listening to how the tooth fairy was going to bring her a diamond ring. The next morning she woke up excited and we headed down the hill. She had one moment of trepidation when she was in the chair and the shot came out, but she quickly got over it. Not a tear was shed. Not a cry escaped those lips, she was incredibly brave. And focused. She wanted the teeth, to give to the tooth fairy. We left the dentist and went to school. After we dropped off her sister, E looked at me and said "mommy I no want my teeth out now", very seriously. I assured her it was not on the horizon for her. H was happy to be able to show off her teeth at sharing time. After school she got ice cream to celebrate her bravery. This however was overshadowed by what came next........a phone call from the tooth fairy! Yes she called to check and make sure that there were really going to be 4 teeth waiting for her! She said she had heard about the teeth and wanted to make sure H was not playing a trick on her. They had quite a conversation. Another day, another milestone. Another day that he missed. She is amazing. I know he would be proud of her. When I stood there by her side, holding her hand, I just kept thinking of him, and how he would have been there. How he would have stood there and held her little hand and cheered for her. He would have told her how proud he was of her. I can see in my minds eye, the scrunched up daddy face, he reserved only for them. I think again, how like him she is. Both in appearance and personality. I see her little smile and it reminds me so much of his big ol' gappy tooth grin. I think about it every day, as it is what I miss the most.

1 comment:

  1. Her pride shines so bright; her smile larger than life! It is the same smile, the same pride that her Daddy shared with the world almost 6 years ago as he carried her out from the delivery room. .. She is her Daddy’s girl- there is no mistaking it! Her bravery, I believe however, she inherited also from you. She is blessed, as is Emerson, to have such amazing parents- Eric would be proud of YOU…

    ReplyDelete

 
satellite