free hit counter

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Still Standing..

The last two weeks have been busy ones. I feel like I am always saying that. The pace of life seems to have picked up so much, there is never enough time to fit it all in. Perhaps it is also as I tell the girls "Mommy has all the jobs to do right now". My jobs, his jobs and everyone else's jobs as it seems no one does their job any more. Some things have started to change for which I am grateful. Someone spoke to the SO on my behalf and made them aware of what was going on at the county. This ripple caused someone with a little more muscle than I have, to become involved. He has been able to get ahold of the people who have avoided my calls, and they have to have answers for him. Oh there is still bureaucracy, but things are starting to move forward and I think they understand that their actions are being observed. I really appreciate that. I suppose that knowing that they were causing me more stress and grief was not enough of an incentive to do the right thing, but knowing that others are holding them accountable was. I have finally been informed that they are moving forward with his retirement. I am not sure when it will all be in place, but at last I have been enlightened as to their intentions. There are many other factors still in play. I am at least expecting to be informed as the process moves forward. I spent a glorious day last week being deposed by the naughty people. It is excruciating sitting across the table from 3 lawyers while they probe the details of your life. Asking you ridiculous questions like "do your children have any effects from this event?" Words cannot express the profound impact this has made on their lives, on all of our lives. But the obvious answer is not good enough, they want to watch the emotion flood over you, they want to dissect your every move and response. They want to challenge you, your memories and your life. Seven hours of fun. Driving home to make it just in time for back to school night. Then off the next day to go and see him. Spend the weekend with him, then back in time for school. And then it starts over again. I am sure we will establish a new routine. H is still getting used to full day school, it is much more of a transition than I thought it would be. Kindergarten, I now realize was much a world of it's own, but first grade is a whole new deal. The first few days she came home looking like a victim of PTSD. She is adapting, slowly. She likes it, but so much change challenges her. She is talking about missing him alot again. How can she not miss him when things are challenging, he was her knight in shining armour, bigger than life, her daddy. And so we cycle back around again. Every night with the anticipation of the new day and the new challenge, brings up his loss. When she gets into bed, and is finally alone with her thoughts, I see the sadness reflected in her eyes. I would give everything to be able to take that away for her. E jumped right into preschool, it being so familiar to her. She lives so much more in the here and now, is more connected to me. It is a double edged sword. On one hand such a relief to be able to spare her some of the pain, but on the other hand, the deep sadness that her memories will not be as vivid. We are making a path, two steps forward, one step back. But at least we are still standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
satellite